Other Stuff...

Mar 11, 2014

Finito!

I just finished up the binding on another quilt tonight. The quilt in question is currently taking a cold water bath in the washing machine. It seems like such a violent end to the long and careful process of quilt making. All those weeks spent choosing fabric, cutting, sewing, and piecing, followed by basting, quilting, and then binding only to end up being agitated in a big, cold metal drum -- it's is a hell of a way to treat something I've fondly coddled until now.

I first started taking a quilting class with my friend Elizabeth in January 2013, and we have been hooked ever since. We and about seven or eight other women meet at Grand Country Quilters in San Marcos each Wednesday for social sewing and quilting with Karen Wittmeyer. I can say with all honesty that it is the highlight of my week. I have always enjoyed crafty things. I knit and crochet, but quilting is different. I have started and then abandoned so many knit and crochet projects, and I'm pretty sure I have three or four sitting in my crafting cupboard waiting to be loved again. Maybe someday, but sadly for them, not today.

But ahh, quilting. I think what I love about quilting is that I can create something substantial and in a relatively short amount of time. Try knitting or crocheting a blanket, and I'll ask you how it's going next year. But with quilting, give me just a few weekends and I'll whip up a big quilt that'll wrap you in love. Quilting is my therapy. It's what helps me keep my blood pressure down after a long day at an office job that I dislike so much that I'm constantly trying to figure out how I can quit it and quilt all day long. 

So here starts my journey. I'll use this blog to escape from my work life for now, with the hopes of doing so for real sometime in the near future. Until then, I'll begin documenting my projects and ideas to share with you. I hope you enjoy it! 

Pictures of the freshly-washed-in-baby-soft-Dreft quilt will be posted tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment